[Bf-committers] Python 3.1 proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:21:18 CEST 2009

Heres my proposal for moving blender 2.5 to python 3.1,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI_31

The last 2 sections -   Proposal and Tasks, sum things up if you dont
want to read through the details.

To keep things simple I only mention OSX/Linux/Windows, but other unix
OS's can be dealt with like linux.

I tested a standalone blender that runs on linux without python
installed. There were some unexpected problems I wont go into details
but I think this is the easiest way to bundle python.

There are a few things that don't matter so much like static vs
dynamic linking and zip vs including a folder.
The maintainer of each OS can decide on these but for the purpose of
getting things going I put forward my preference and reasoning for the
decisions, we can switch between these later if it makes sense to.

If there are any questions Id like to try resolve before this Sunday meeting.
Assuming this is accepted Id like to make this move within a week and
remove support for python2.

feedback and +|- 1's welcome