[Bf-committers] How about adding boost uBLAS library toblender/extern?

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Mon Jan 26 14:15:15 CET 2009

From: "joe" <joeedh at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 5:18 AM

> Ugh, porting the render code to c++ would be a really bad idea.  It's
> highly optimized for C.

I wonder what this "optimizition for C" really means. The renderer is very
far from fast and thus certainly far from optimized in one way or another.
It might be optimized for C but I think the rendering pipeline itself needs
some fundamental conceptual revision. Just optimizing C statements does not
cut it and some old C optimization tricks are actually detrimental to modern
CPU architectures. And given that C++ is a superset of C, any C optimization
trick that are actually efficient could be ported to C++ as well.

I suggest that porting the renderer to C++ might be beneficial even if not
totally "optimized for C" if some other aspects can be optimized such as the
vector/matrix and color calculations. At least, that might be the first step
to a gradual refactoring of the renderer. That just said, I believe that a
more profound refactoring than simply porting or improving is needed.

Just for my own education, I would like to be pointed to some of those C
optimization tricks in Blender renderer that could not be ported to C++.

---

The Eigen2 library looks very interesting. Very, very interesting.

Yves