[Bf-committers] How about adding boost uBLAS library to blender/extern?

blender at erwincoumans.com blender at erwincoumans.com
Sun Jan 25 20:46:03 CET 2009

It is very exciting to hear about upcoming development on inverse
kinematics. I like to point out two important issues:

1) Ability to (hot) swap different IK solver.
It would be extremely useful if we let the user/developer choose the IK
solving method, also in the Blender Game Engine.

It sounds like the new IK method mentioned by Benoit is very high quality,
and targetted for robotics. Often in games the requirements are lower. We
have seen good results with the CCD (Cyclic Coordinate Descent) method in
real-time games, so I would like to see this this option in the Blender game
engine. My collegue already integrated this CCD it in the Blender IK
testbed, as comparison with the existing Blender IK solver.

2) Software license
This probably doesn't matter to many Blender developers/users but as someone
mentioned Bullet, I want to bring it up. Many game console non-disclosure
agreements prevent using code under the GPL/LGPL style license. My group
here at Sony is also looking into animation and inverse kinematics, as
companion to the Bullet physics library. Our work is targetting professional
console game developers (and movie industry), and they prefer BSD, MIT or
Zlib style license.

The Boost license is fine for consoles, but several game developers don't
want STL or Boost dependency. So for our work we avoid that for our work
(and the Bullet library). If you provide an interface that allows choice of
Ik solver, we will consider to add our CCD inverse kinematics algorithm to
Blender Game Engine.

Can you please include such (hot) swap feature, when designing the IK
interface for your upcoming work in the Blender Game Engine?

Thanks a lot,
Erwin