[Bf-committers] How about adding boost uBLAS library to blender/extern?

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Fri Jan 23 22:50:43 CET 2009

Hi,

The new IK algorithms developed at the KUL use the uBLAS template
library from boost for matrix definition and operation.
In order to minimize code change when porting to Blender, I am asking if
it would be acceptable to add that library in blender/extern.

It is a template library, so it will not increase the size of the
executable more than necessary. It allows high level abstraction and yet
it is almost as fast as an add-hoc C implementation because it uses the
advanced technique of template expressions. The drawback is that it
requires a modern C compiler: gcc 3.2.3 and above, MSVC 7.1 and above,
ICC 8.0 and above (older compiler are supported with an earlier version
of the library). I guess this is not a limiting factor?
In terms of number of files, I extracted a subset of boost that contains
all the necessary files to compile uBLAS: 10Mb in 1650 files.

The alternative is to implement add-hoc C functions or reuse the TNT
template library that is used by IK_Solver (intern/iksolver/intern/TNT).
This library is much smaller and provide similar functionality but it is
not as fast.

For the interested ones, I've started a wiki on the IK project:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/GameEngineDev/RobotIKSolver

/benoit