[Bf-committers] new IK algorithms in Blender

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Mon Jan 19 00:04:48 CET 2009

    IMO, the biggest issue I see with this is the frame-dependence.
As an animator, I want frames to be *independent* of each other
because that makes things predictable for me: if I change frame 20, I
know it's not going affect frame 30 or frame 150 which I was already
happy with.  As an analogy, imagine trying to draw if making marks on
one part of the page changed marks that you already made on another
part of the page.  It would be a very frustrating experience.
    In general, I think tools for hand-made animation should be highly
local in nature whenever possible, unless there is a truly substantial
benefit for having it be otherwise.

    However, having said that, it sounds like this could be useful
outside of hand-made animation applications.  Game engine, crowd
simulations, etc.
    I'd just shy away from using it as a tool for animators.

--Nathan V