[Bf-committers] Wiki reorganization proposal

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:27:22 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:22, mindrones <mindrones at yahoo.it> wrote:
> 3) When people involved in python (you, jesterking, migius, meta-androcto, etc) decide a script is useful and technically ok, that script can be moved in the "Py Scripts Contrib" tracker and the script can be pushed in svn under bf-extensions/scripts/trunk/2_4x/contrib.
> When people checkout bf-blender svn:
> - under trunk/release/scripts they find scripts from bf-blender/scripts/trunk/2_4x/
> - under trunk/release/scripts/contrib they find scripts from bf-blender/scripts/trunk/2_4x/contrib

Does this mean that the script must always be in a working state? What
if someone wants to continue development with major modifications? Is
he allowed  to use this repository as an actual "development"
repository?

Another question is: is this three-level hierarchy really necessary?
Maybe the uploads folder phase and the "contrib" phase could be
somehow merged. Imagine if the "uploads" folder gets really popular:
are you guys really going to review hundreds of scripts? What if a
script serves an obscure purpose, but is actually useful for many
people? I would prefer to fix the interface in blender so that
navigating through a *huge* number of scripts becomes easier, for
instance allowing textual search into the scripts' help strings. I
wouldn't mind downloading, like, a thousand scripts, even if 75% of
them are poorly written/useless, because it would be far easier to
find something interesting: right now if I'm looking for a script to
solve a specific problem I have to look for it on the web, which takes
time, and in the end it could still be outdated or poorly written.
Scripts with technical merits and broad applicability will emerge
eventually, anyway, and be natural candidates for an actual "release".

UncleZeiv