[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2009

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:17:31 CET 2009

I am thinking of another GSoC idea:
Motion estimation based frame rate conversion for the sequencer speed
effect.

For now the sequencer speed effect works by avaraging frames, but other
methods are possible:
- Skipping or duplicating frames (quicker)
- Interpolation based on motion estimation of macroblocks (better results in
most cases)

In theory it is quite easy, but in pratice there is some issues:
- Performances (need subpixel precision and bad vectors causes artifacts so
full search is prefered)
- Need to deal with background region masked by the foreground and with the
image borders apearing during a camera pan.

Note:
- Motion estimation code can also be used for better deinterlacing
- FFmpeg motion estimation code will be hard to reuse because it is
optimized for YUV and video compression pipeline

xavier