[Bf-committers] jpeg2000 read/write support.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 13:47:15 CET 2009

Recently I was asked to add jpeg2000 (*.jp2) writing into blender, I
had a look into this and its just a matter of adding the right calls
to OpenJPEG that blender alredy comes with and adding a new format to
ImLib.

I'll double check they know about OpenEXR and other high colordepth
formats, otherwise is there any issues with adding jpeg2000 to the
list of supported blender image formats (compile time option
WITH_BF_OPENJPEG)

Some advantage from looking over the docs - 8 ,16 or 32bit color
channels (can convert from blenders float buffer when writing), alpha
channel support.
as well as better compression I assume, More apps are supporting
jpeg2000, gtk builds with it by default now.

Managed to get RGB 8bit JP2 images loading ok, though writing is
probably the complicated part.

Would be interested in Peter's feedback on this too.

--
- Campbell