[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [18215] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender: RNA

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Fri Jan 2 10:36:50 CET 2009

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 17:42 +1100, Matt Ebb wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <brecht at blender.org> wrote:
>
> > -----------
> > RNA
> > * Added support for sending notifiers and updates when setting
> >  RNA properties. Per property, there is a notifier NC_/ND_ flag,
> >  and a function that is called. Currently only used for
> >  Object.loc/rot/size.
>
> Thanks Brecht, this is great! Would you like me to do some monkey work
> adding more of these? I.e. for shading -  updating 3d view for changes
> in lamps, materials, etc? How about a category/update function for
> geometry changes too, to allow changing modifier properties for
> example?

If you want to work on this, go ahead.

Notifiers are nicely decoupled, so you should be able to define more and
use them without much trouble. For example for object changes that
affect the data indeed one or more ND_* types need to be added for
NC_OBJECT.

However there is the issue of how to do things like preview render
updates, clearing display lists, etc. I think we have to use blenkernel/
functions for that, and avoid using editors/ functions in RNA code, only
interacting through notifiers there if possible. How that interaction
will work is a bit unsure still though I imagine with proper use of
notifiers and DAG_* functions you should be able to get quite far.

Brecht.