[Bf-committers] Rigging a different way

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 05:55:12 CET 2009

Ah not sure what all your points are here. . .Bone layers and custom
bone shapes allow cutting down visual clutter (and work well for
that).

Simply positioning joints and scaling (non-uniformly if desired) to
set an envelope would be an interesting workflow, but you'd still have
all the same deformation problems.  Envelope deformation just isn't
that great.  Also having a joint-based system isn't all that different
from a bone-based system, since you still have to deal with things
like proper roll, singularities, etc.  It's just a slightly different
user interface.  Really, there is no rigging method that isn't a huge
pain and involves a lot of work, if you want production-quality rigs.

Joe