[Bf-committers] Realistic materials question (Farsthary)

javier loureiro derethor at derethor.net
Wed Feb 25 13:34:52 CET 2009

I believe that the main problem with complex BxDF's is how to sample it
in an efficient way. There is no a way to sample according to a complex
BxDF (a tabulated one, for example) , so, you sample cosine weighted
around the normal. Also, you must define multiple leyers of BxDF for a
material, with different weights (like 20% diffuse, 60% phong, 20%
emissive), and "weight maps". The random number generation, and previus
stratification of samples is fundamental to sample correctly the whole
material.

Another question: what happens when a material is emissive (like lava)..
how to deal with non realistic light sources, like point lights,
directional, etc?

pd. first time i write here :)