[Bf-committers] BGE API Proposal

Mitchell Stokes mitchell at daboys4u.com
Fri Feb 20 04:22:51 CET 2009

> Im still not convinced that a few simple breaks the API is as bad as
> some would make out,
> Its a hard argument to make because Breaking the API is bad right?

I think the biggest reason for trying as hard as possible to not break too
much is the recent release of the 2nd GameKit. It probably wouldn't be too
good if half the scripts had to be edited before they can be used. However,
aren't corrections or errata posted somewhere? Something could be written on
updating the scripts for 2.49. And 2.48 is on the disc, right?

> - Id prefer feedback from people who have used the api and are aware
> of its problems.
>
> As Jose said, It means going over the scripts and making some
> adjustments, Even for YoFrankie, Id expect this to take an afternoon,
> which I would be happy to do. - easily less then the time I had to
> work out weired behavior of the python api where I constantly needed
> to use trial and error to find valid parameters keeping
> KX_GameObject.cpp and friends open.

Yeah I also just started keeping the source open to figure out how things
worked. This is NOT newbie friendly. I doubt a lot of BGE users even have
the source downloaded yet alone know how to gather information from it. And,
all the changes are easy to make, they are not that drastic of changes.

I've been using SVN builds to build my game, and as such I've been utilizing
the new API as it's written. It's been nicer, espicially as more things get
exposed (distance attribute for the Near and Radar sensors for example).

Cheers,
Mitchell "Moguri" Stokes