[Bf-committers] 2.49 release proposal

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Feb 17 23:24:23 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It has been popping up in discussions a couple of times... the
> suggestion make one final "stable" release for the 2.4x series before
> moving to 2.50. That will also allow a more early release of the work
> since 2.48.
> Another benefit would be that a good 2.49 release might sooth the
> migration pains for 2.50 a bit, for example for python API changes...
> :)

I'd be in favour of a 2.49 release only if it's more of a 'fix'
release. That is, only what's in SVN trunk now, plus bug fixes. I'd
really not like to see much time taken away from 2.5, especially in
the time following the winter camp, when it will be fresh in all our
heads.

I don't think it would be good to spend the time and energy
integrating any external patches/branches right now, which will a)
introduce their own set of bugs and additional associated
fixing/testing cycle and b) would be likely to be rushed in without
enough consideration given to how they work and integrate from a code
and UI perspective.

As well as this, it would be nice to have some cool features to go
along with 2.5 and it gives a great opportunity for things like
skeleton generation and NURBS to be the first to start rethinking and
taking advantage of what's possible in 2.5, as true next-generation
tools, rather than cramming them into 2.4.

cheers

Matt