[Bf-committers] 2.49 release proposal

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Tue Feb 17 13:37:03 CET 2009

I'm strongly in favor of a 2.49 release. There has been significant
improvements on the BGE side that deserve an official release:
VideoTexture, BGE API cleanup, bug fixes. 

For the BGE API cleanup, we plan to have a transition phase where the
old API will still be supported but will produce deprecation warnings on
the console. A 2.49 release will allow us to propose a smooth transition
from 2.4x to 2.50 by introducing the new API in 2.49 and dropping the
old in 2.50. 
Then the procedure to upgrade the scripts will be as follow: run your
game under 2.49 with warnings enabled, fix the scripts until there is no
warning, the game is ready for 2.50!

Without a 2.49 we will have to do the transition between 2.50 and 2.51,
which looks a bit odd, or worse between a unofficial release and 2.50.

Of course if we decide to go for a 2.49 release, I'll make sure that the
new API and VideoTexture and fully ready for the release.


More information about the Bf-committers mailing list