[Bf-committers] Languages other then python in Blender 2.5?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 11:52:05 CET 2009

It worries me that were discussing technical problems with adding new
languages before working out how this would benefit users.
Id like to see some good arguments for this since it seem more
applications TO Python, How does python limit scripting in Blender?

Banlu Kemiyatorn - There are some parts of the API that are not RNA or
Operators, User interface and utility funcitons like Mathutils,
Geometry, Blender.sys and OpenGL. I asked about multiple languages
because I was wondering if these APIs should have bindings generated
in a generic way.

I disagree with some suggestions...
Chris Want - Allow Python 2.x AND 3.x ?? - How would this work? would
we need to make bundled scripts run in both python versions. Since py
3.x does int division and print differently I think expecting scripts
to run from py 2.3 - 3.x is a very bad move.
Aside from that I agree that using less python version specific
features is an advantage since it makes upgrading less of a hassle.

Re: SWIG, I have not used swig but I gather it wraps C api's directly
- Look at the current C API for RNA and Operators, do we really want
to be passing contexts and use multiple commands set operator args
from a scripting API?

If we used swig for everything we'd either need to add a simple C api
on top of what we have...
or make each language add its own api around the low level swig
generated API (slow).
Can swig map blenders error reporting api into language exceptions? or
if this would require an api over the opt of swig too.
Instead, we could have a hand written API for RNA and Operators and
use SWIG for everything else - OpenGL, UI, Mathutils etc.

--
- Campbell