[Bf-committers] Languages other then python in Blender 2.5?

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Fri Feb 13 08:52:18 CET 2009

2009/2/13 Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt at bigpond.net.au>:
> Campbell Barton wrote:
>> IMHO it's quite likely that with Blender's popularity some developer
>> will try this even if we don't ask for it.
>>

> I don't know what the official line is, but I am intending to add Lua
> support to some extent to my build. Shame BGE is such an integral part
> of Blender now, as removing Python completely would be an interesting
> experiment.

FYI, on my wiki user page you can find patches for some dabblings with
adding Lua support to 2.4x.

I am also interested in adding Lua scripting support to Blender.

/Nathan

> On the other hand, having the capability to run multiple scripting
> languages is going to cause issues for the end-user who uses the
> Scripting Window. Having multiple languages is just going to confuse
> people when looking at running a sample script they find online. As much
> as I have reservations about Python, it is the default language now and
> this is not likely to change.

I don't see why that is going to be a problem. When the Script window
is used, the user sees only the end result anyway - no code to think
about. And it shouldn't be hard to ensure that different languages are
easily recognised, just like E. Allen suggests.

> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
> intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
> email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
> disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
> should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
> computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
> of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
> transmitted with it are free from such viruses.

These kind of text blocks are very useless on public mailing lists :)

/Nathan