[Bf-committers] From Farsthary another anouncement

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Feb 5 08:01:55 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM, joe <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I'm curious about, is what would a shading language for
> BRDF's look like, and if it'd be as flexible as other shading
> languages (e.g. GLSL, RSL, etc).

Well, brdfs can just take the form of functions that can appear
*within* a shading language. For example, taking an input direction
vector and a normal, and giving you an output reflected vector +
probability. It's up to the shader writer to use them in a sensible
way.

Check out this video on houdini's new physically based rendering
feature in Mantra, you can sample bsdfs in their shading language:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1414&Itemid=132

Matt