[Bf-committers] Development plan proposal for after the 2.6 series

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Dec 18 17:10:16 CET 2009

Hi,

Luckily the "after the 2.6 series" will take a while ;)

But seriously, any future we can think of will only work if you can
make it work in a natural way. Defining a vision (like the bi-monthly
develop focus) is a nice one, but you won't get much volunteers
inspired for it. And not with money either I'm afraid.

For a mid term (next few years) strategy, I would prefer to see our
developers getting professionally involved more. And preferably as
small teams working together. Such people will get managed and
supported by their own organizations, with targets managed internally
as well. And who will meet online together to define agendas and
roadmaps.

That organization model is based on a positive target (= to want
Blender to work for a job).

Patch review and bugtracker maintenance then will still be a bit
problematic, but it will work acceptable if there's a very clear self-
interest involved... we all want stable software, right? That's where
a BF can play the coordinating and facilitating role, with possibly
(if funds allow) to hire people for tracker coordination, making docs
and doing reviews.

-Ton-