[Bf-committers] Development plan proposal for after the 2.6 series

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Fri Dec 18 12:41:29 CET 2009

Hi Tom,

Bringing some area to be industry leader in 1 or 2 months is
absolutely impossible, no matter how many developers work on it.
Development speed does not even remotely scale linearly by the number
of concurrent developers working on it. Having all the developers
working on one area would be already very problematic in one company,
but distributed over the internet this just would not work in such
short time frames. Communication introduces a lot of overhead, as does
working with other developers who are not on the same time schedule.

>From the end user point of view this would be a good idea, but it's
just not realistic in my opinion.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:37 AM, joe <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this plan could work, but only if the BF invested funds in
> paying relevant developers for the duration of each cycle.  I think
> this is effectively what the open movie projects accomplish, without
> the requirement that the new features must be tested in production of
> a short film.

I'm afraid that is what would need to happen. If the BF would fund
developers of course those areas would be worked on, but I don't think
it would be possible to convince the many volunteers to work on these
areas as well. In practice I think either those developers would just
keep working on their own area, or worse, do no development at all.

Brecht.