[Bf-committers] Development plan proposal for after the 2.6 series

Raul Fernandez Hernandez raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Thu Dec 17 17:10:05 CET 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose that after the 2.6 series completes that we start
> scheduling patch review and perhaps have a development focus.
>
> My thoughts were to have a  1 or 2 month rotating cycle where we focus
> on one area of Blender and try and bring that area to be the industry
> leader in terms of speed of workflow and capabilities.  During that
> time period I'd recommend we have a commitment to review all patches
> that are relevant for that area - of course coders could review other
> patches as well that are relevant to them, but with a schedule outside
> coders can have a clear idea of what code base they need to have their
> patch current against, and have a clear timeline about when they can
> expect their code to be reviewed.  Also with a schedule - artists can
> have a clear timeframe to submit ideas and proposals and mockups.
>
> I'd recommend that we order the development similar to a production
> pipeline (Ie similar to how Durians development timeline is ordered).

 +1 on me, development focus is the only way to leverage the weak areas of
Blender because as much as skilled/talented may be a dev he can't compete
with a well organized team. If the UI/event system overhaul haven't being
a dev focus it probably never happen so the big task should be
accomplished with teams.

  But is also good to maintain the flexiblity because many good things has
came to Blender outside the official projects and the priority schedule
could became a discriminating factor , the 3d world is very dynamic and
priorities changes from one year to the other.