[Bf-committers] Development plan proposal for after the 2.6 series

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:02:32 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to propose that after the 2.6 series completes that we start
scheduling patch review and perhaps have a development focus.

My thoughts were to have a  1 or 2 month rotating cycle where we focus
on one area of Blender and try and bring that area to be the industry
leader in terms of speed of workflow and capabilities.  During that
time period I'd recommend we have a commitment to review all patches
that are relevant for that area - of course coders could review other
patches as well that are relevant to them, but with a schedule outside
coders can have a clear idea of what code base they need to have their
patch current against, and have a clear timeline about when they can
expect their code to be reviewed.  Also with a schedule - artists can
have a clear timeframe to submit ideas and proposals and mockups.

I'd recommend that we order the development similar to a production
pipeline (Ie similar to how Durians development timeline is ordered).

So roughly

Modeling Tools
Sculpting Tools
UV Mapping
Painting
Baking of Maps
Rigging and Skinning
Animation
Lighting and Rendering
Compositing
NLE
GE
User Interface

The python would probably be throughout since it is involved in all of
our tools.

What are your thoughts?

LetterRip