[Bf-committers] Shading System Proposals

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 03:47:32 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <brecht at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After discussion with Matt and Nathan, I've revised the proposal, I
> think it's much clearer now, and also more ambitious. There's still
> various things to be worked out in more detail and mockups for UI to
> be made. But I think we now have a design that solves the BXDF/node
> interaction and the texture stack questions.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/ShadingSystem
>
> Brecht.

I'm not sure this is the proper place to bring this up since it is not
about BXDF but rather about API / design: Has anybody considered the
possibility of allowing 3rd party rendering engines selected via the
Render API, to add their own set of nodes for things like shaders or
procedural textures that are not supported by blender internal?

Furthermore, you write about some of the things that are Non-Targets
for this project. Will any of those limitations cause issues with some
external shaders? (Especially with some of the exotic things that can
be programed into a renderman shader)

I know 3rd party rendering engines are not the primary focus, but have
you determined the extents (if at all) to which the shading system
will accommodate them?

-Reuben