[Bf-committers] blender2.5's new IK

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Mon Aug 31 10:49:32 CEST 2009

Hi Benoit,

On 8/31/09, Benoit Bolsee <benoit.bolsee at online.be> wrote:
>  > Is Benoit's new IK for Blender2.5 for the BGE only, or will
>  > it use caching and be avilable in the editor to?  What about
>  > the problem of the animator going back in time, making
>  > changes, and then having unexpected results in the future.
>
>  The new IK is also for Blender. Caching is automatically enabled when
>  used in blender and disabled when used in the BGE. Going back in time in
>  blender and changing things that may have an influence in the future
>  usually results in the entire cache to be cleared. This has some nasty
>  side effects.

I don't think the cache is good default behavior for animators. It may
be for robotics but Blender is primarily an application for
animations, so in my opinion it should be disabled by default. When
you're posing a character on a particular frame, you want to see how
it looks immediately, while you're grabbing the hand. Seeing it only
when you release, or even later in a playback, that would be a big
step back in my opinion.

Brecht.