[Bf-committers] Group a layers patch (Farsthary)

echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu
Tue Aug 18 07:09:34 CEST 2009

Hi all!

  Few days ago as a proof of concept (I mean, need recode if is considered
for commit :) I has code a simple patch http://farsthary.wordpress.com
that turn the group entry in the Outliner windows like a layer manager
since making a research on how layer manager where implemented in the
big packages showed that the main functionality of layers where toggling
visibility, freezing objects,toggling renderability and naming for
better logical organization.
  Others functionality like layer coloring, and several representation
options while useful in some contexts are less relevant for them.

  In blender, groups has much more uses than like a layer manager but I
think the proposal could be usefull.
  The issue regarding if an object belong to two or more groups I think
should be up to the user: toggling a group visibility always set all
child objets visibility to the same as the group selected, that way
toggling two times you can ensure that no hidden object that belong to
that group are in other group. Moreover, if a user will use a group as a
layer only he/she could named that group with layer_... and ensure non
overlapping in that case.

  I would like to know proposals or reviews of it at farsthary84 at gmail.com.
                                           Cheers to all
                              Farsthary