[Bf-committers] Blender 2.49b Script/Plugin Installer.

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 9 16:15:13 CEST 2009

--- On Sat, 8/8/09, Brendon Murphy <meta.androcto1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> Rather than including external scripts 2.4x in Blender as I
> have requested.
> I would like to create an installer for each platform.
> This would contain/install all the External Scripts &
> Plugins that are
> tested for 2.4x.
> I think this would be a good addition to the blender.org
> download page, for
> each platform.
> (not hidden away somewhere, but under the individual
> download.)
> The scripts & plugins extend Blender in a large way
> & an installer would be
> very popular.
> I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.

I agree, having an installer inside blender that can be used to browse an online repo or install a specific file or directory of scripts from a disk would be great. The install part isn't that hard, I had a prototype of such a script for 2.4x that used the filebrowser to select a file then copied it over in the script dir, very easy stuff. The online browsing is trickier, but not actually that hard, I would theorize.

All in all, thumbs up from me.

> On a side note:
> Why not call Blender 2.49b > Blender 2.49 Final.
> Then be done with it.

No real strong opinion on this, but I predict a backfire when two weeks after that we need a 2.49 Final - Bugfix.

Martin