[Bf-committers] [BF-committers] Updating FFMPEG

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:29:25 CEST 2009

2009/8/8 Peter Schlaile <peter at schlaile.de>:
>> I'm all for removing ffmpeg from extern.
>
> -10 for people, who discuss things, they don't know a thing about.
>
> Especially those, who haven't looked into extern/ffmpeg/patches ...
I've looked into theses, and all are patches targeted to be reviewed
and merged in ffmpeg upstream.
No patch seems required to build against distro ffmpeg shared version.

So I still cannot see why blender would allow to redistribute a ffmpeg
snapshot like any other extern projects snapshoot.

If some patches are required for binary packages distributed at
blender.org, then I think this is a really separate issue. I would
forward you to the way vlc does (from http://www.videolan.org) for
patches redistribution of extern projects that are needed to build
binary win32 and MacOSX versions. They actually redistribute the patch
and a makefile that would download the accurate ffmpeg cvs revision to
the patch will apply for. But they do not redistribute the ffmpeg
source snapshot at all.

At this time, this is +1 from my side (as the Fedora package
maintainer of blender).
I will help splitting out the contribs in the buildsys if that
workload is needed.

Nicolas (kwizart)