[Bf-committers] Google's O3D, 3d web player follow-up

Wael EL ORAIBY wael.eloraiby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:25:15 CEST 2009

The questions are, what are the objectives to attain exactly: For what
purpose? Who is going to use it? What to gain for the blender
community?

>From my experience, using javascript with external modules is *still*
a bit slow, even when it is for 2D application (maybe this will be two
times faster with tracemonkey) . I have given a project to students to
measure the speed of javascript with java (i.e. use javascript and
control a java applet). Needless to say, for loading is ok since it is
done only once, but with logic it was very slow for every frame. Again
this might be because of java.

There is this plugins for firefox called canvas 3D that used an
opengl-es, very similar to O3D :

For the web, ppl are either interested in JSON or xml based collada,
unless it is a game where the BGE becomes interesting.

Wael,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Nathan Letwory <jesterking at letwory.net> wrote:
> 2009/4/24 Ã÷ÓX <shi.minjue at gmail.com>:
>> I'm trying to embed blender into my XUL program, if I can reach it, we
>> will be able to display blender files directly by mozilla web browser,
>> no need to javascript. It seems a little distant dream ? :)
>
> Well, we do have some (half-functional?) webplugin code. Someone was
> working on it at the beginning of this year, but from what I
> understood he had to drop the effort. I assume the code is still
> available for it though. Bear in mind that this was ActiveX-based
> first and targeted at showing the Blender Game Engine.
>
> /Nathan

Wael El Oraiby
Laboratoire MIA
Universit¨¦ de Haute Alsace