[Bf-committers] Google's O3D, 3d web player follow-up

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 24 11:17:02 CEST 2009

Hi devs,

People interested in '3d on the web' could check this;
http://o3d.blogspot.com/2009/04/toward-open-web-standard-for-3d.html

I'm in contact with the developers of this system. They wrote me;

"If you haven't already, take a look at our scene import guide:
http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/docs/artdesignerguide.html
We actually don't have a native format for O3D, but load scenes in JS
from zipped JSON files. The COLLADA support we provide is just a
convenient reference converter and JS library. This means that you
could write a Blender exporter and a corresponding JS library to
include whatever capabilities you can dream up."

They're very interested to hear our stance on opportunities with O3D. I
would need help and feedback from you though. My impression is that it
would be easier for us when they would provide more generic (Collada)
support, including animation, characters and physics data. A "JS
library" then could stick to logic.
Or, maybe I can inspire them to get hands-on involved with (most) of
this porting work. Still have no idea how feasible this all is. :)

I also have talked to the Mozilla "3d on the web" team. They will first
(and only?) focus on direct JS bindings to OpenGL, nothing more yet.
Doesn't make it something we can be involved with in a short term.

Thanks,

-Ton-