[Bf-committers] CAVE like extension for Blender Game Engine

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:55:29 CEST 2009

Hello.

I've never seen a CAVE, so I'm not sure about technical details on that one.

On my side, I've been working in extending Blender Game Engine to runs
in Domes. A few notes about that:

- there is no stereoscopic mode currently supported. Horizontal domes
need to handle eyes switching when looking at the zenith in a very
tricky way (therefore not implemented). It may be tackled next year
though.

- if you can find/read the code (highly commented) in
/source/gameengine/Ketsji/KX_Dome.cpp. It can help you if you want to
try to implement it in code level.

- if you don't need stereoscopic you can try to use the "Warp Data
Mesh" option to remap the panoramic spherical to your CAVE -
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/GameEngine/Fisheye_Dome_Camera
(in the end of the document).
[I'm replacing the truncated mode to an envmap mode. It can work
nicely for you too].

- Some Dome installations use another software to remap the input
(from one single computer) to several projectors. (you can spot that
in the middle of this video: http://www.vimeo.com/3170858 ). There way
you wouldn't need several machines. Not sure what would be better for
you (these softwares usually are really expensive).

** - I wouldn't be surprised if you can make it work without coding in
Blender source though. You will probably need a lot of python and
external applications (to handle tracking for example).

Cheers,
Dalai

http://blenderecia.orgfree.com