[Bf-committers] CAVE like extension for Blender Game Engine

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Wed Apr 22 15:24:33 CEST 2009

Hello,
I just wan't to mention there was a "Blender Sprint" which was a workshop for several people to get Blender running on CAVE in Innsbruck, there were coders and artists together, after the model of Blender Institute open projects. The original idea came from Samo Koresac, who also organized everything. The time was very short - only 3 days. The target was to get a simple walkthrough with some models of historical buildings in Innsbruck. We had 2 ways of running Server - client connection,  Jiri Hnidek made a Verse based connection, and I did a very simple python UDP connection. Our setup was very simple, we sinced only an avater in the walkthrough and playback of baked animations. There was a server, which took controller input and streamed the object positions to the hosts.

Here's the official video(the webpage isn't there anymore):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCes6bDBLQ

If there's interest, I'll try to find the old files and upload them for viewing, there was a zoomable camera setup which was able to keep the projections connected, and more little goodies.

Another thing is that a month ago I met a guy who works on CAVE in Prague. He is a grad student on the Institute of intermedia, however I forgot his name.
Here are contacts to all the people in the institute : http://www.iim.cz/?id=3&lang=0    (the pages are in czech)
The guy spoke about planning to do basically the same - to run CAVE with Blender engine. He was interested on going a way where a big server/cluster would be able to run heavy physic simulations or any other heavy computations BUT without running the graphical part, and stream the results to a cluster of computers which would only display the results in the engine. If I got him right, his research focus is on streaming huge amounts of data. I guess this target is the same problem, just in another scale. The institute is generally open to a wider experimentation, so feel free to write them.
Cheers,
Vilem Novak