[Bf-committers] Raytracer Optimization

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Mon Apr 20 19:50:11 CEST 2009

> I've been getting some complaints from some Irix users about degrading
> performance in recent Blender builds. I was unable to duplicate these
> claims but the results of my performance study have got me interested
> in the Raytracer engine. It seems that on the test.blend file we're
> spending close to 80-90% of the raytracing time in the octree search
> algorithms. This leads me to wonder if we can do something about the
> speed of these functions. From my call tree graph of the gprof data it
> seems that all the octree routines and related code all reside in a
> collection of 4 functions.

Hi Timothy,

One of the proposed projects for GSOC this year is all about this
exact issue.  The applications that are accepted should be posted
soon on the website:
http://socghop.appspot.com/

We'll probably have an announcement on the blender site as well, once
the offical announcement has happened.

You'll have to check and see if its accepted.

Kent