[Bf-committers] Blender 2.49 Extended Version

Brendon Murphy meta.androcto1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:45:15 CEST 2009

hi, Here is a copy of an email I sent Ton.

you would know me as Brendon Murphy, Meta-Androcto, & Scorpion.
> Currently my projects include:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Catalog
> http://projects.blender.org/projects/bf-extensions/
>
> I would like to ask permissions & limited support from the BF in my future
> project.
> Blender 2.49 Extended Version.
> You can read a rough draft of my full proposal here:
> http://sites.google.com/site/androcto/Home/blender-249-extender-version
>
> Well, as you can see, considerable thought is going into this.
>
> My initial test releases were well received by the community,
> even the 40 meg+ download was not even questioned. people accepted it.
> User feedback has helped me improve considerably the functionality &
> usability of the next planned version.
>
> All "Extra" features I plan are correctly licensed, many permissions have
> been granted by the Authors of the extra content.
> This is always an important issue to me, permissions & licensing are #1
> priority.
> So I gain them!
> In the few years I have been collecting & documenting scripts &
> collecting/establishing Library's & asking permissions,
> only one author has declined, so that authors work is not included.
>
> How can the Blender Foundation help?
>
> Are you happy with the Name?
> Would the BF be prepared to host this project (once finished) on
> Blender.org?
> (with appropriate disclaimers)
> This version of Blender I plan, will be quite popular,
> I would rather have the BF host this project than to distribute it via a
> generic file hosting service.
> Again appropriate disclaimers & "this project is not supported in the bug
> tracker" message would apply.
> My other options are to host via graphicall or file hosting service.
> All maintenance of this build, (which there will be very little) I am happy
> to maintain.
> Also of course any web page dedicated, I would maintain.
>
> The "Version of Blender" will be a testament to the 2.4x series & years of
> work by many people.
> A Final Build to say goodbye to 2.4x, what better place to have it live
> than at it's rightful home.
>
> Thanks for you help, support & consideration.
> Brendon Murphy.

Here is Ton's Reply:

Hi Brendon,

> Thanks for the enthusiasm and offer to help! :)
> Decisions like this are not mine though, that should go via our regular
> developer channels first. I prefer to have a wide consensis among all our
> volunteers for issues like this.
>
> Please consider to join the bf-committers list, where discussions about
> this proposal will be very appropriate;
>
> Laters!
>
> -Ton-

So here I am, now requesting support from Blender Developers.
All I can say further to encourage support is I sincerely believe this
"Version" of Blender to be very useful & important.
After 2.49 is released, a call for content will be made, so wider community
input can be considered also.
An Extended Version of Blender, as a final tribute to the 2.4x series, will
be a wonderful finale to a wonderful series.
This is not intended to be a continued Branch, more a final build.
This is what has been done.
I too look forward to what's to come in 2.5x & intend to be involved
rewriting/upgrading scripts & creating more library's.
I do not ask for physical help, I can set everything up myself. Offers of
help & ideas will of course be welcomed.

Again, as all content will be licensed properly,
my main concern is that the blender.org website is the proper home for such
a "Version"
I do not think something, contributed to by so many, over so many years,
should live on a public file hosting service.

Feel free to e-mail me & discuss this amongst each other.
I am often on irc channels, so feel free to discuss this with me there also.

Sorry for the long mail.
Sincerely.
Brendon Murphy (Meta-Androcto)