[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Apr 19 10:50:14 CEST 2009

Matt Ebb kirjoitti:
> I use CMake on OS X for 2.5 and I use it to generate MSVC project
> files for 2.4 at work. It's very quick,and easy to use too. Perhaps

CMake was also selected as the build system for the new Realxtend
viewer, based on the little research a lead dev did on build systems in
January / February, http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Build_systems ..
some pros and cons there. The main reason there was that most devs use
MSVC, and the Scons support for it is basically MSVC running Scons, and
not via normal project files.

That said, I think Scons has been a great success for Blender, and it is
quite remarkable how there are so many artists who don't code building
themselves, just to get the features immediately :)

Dunno if cmake could do what scons does now, and generate nice makefiles
like the hand written ones are now.

> Matt

~Toni