[Bf-committers] Mesh development freeze

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:33:04 CEST 2009

> I'm working on readblend, a library that can extract arbitrary data from
> .blend files. It works great, and I want to rely on this for some of my
> ongoing prototyping and R&D work for Bullet physics. For example, it allows
> me to extract some logic bricks, Bullet soft body data (etc), without having
> to bother about an intermediate fileformat, writing a python exporter etc.

I'm not entirely sure how this is all going to work out.  I *think*
that storing tessellations in the mfaces and storing original polygons
in a separate layer will work.  That's what I plan to do, and if it
works, you shouldn't have any problems.  It's too early to know for
sure if this solution will work, however.  For example, if it turns
out to take too much RAM, it might be necessary to store the
tessellations in a more compact way (you really only need three
integers per triangle in this case).

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:04 AM,  <blender at erwincoumans.com> wrote:
> Just a bit of context, why I'm pleading for compatibility:
> 1) Would it be feasible to add a 'save-as pre 2.50 .blend', using your
> proposed tesselation into the .mface structures?
If storing tessellations like that does work, then they'd be saved to
disk as well (or if they weren't, there could be an option to do so).

> 2) Can you try to keep the underlying .blend file structure compatible, so I
> can continue my readblend project?

In the current plan, two new structures would be added (MPoly and
MLoop, which together store new-style faces).  I don't see any reason
why we'd change any of the other structures in Mesh, other then the
Mesh struct itself.

Joe