[Bf-committers] 2.49: prevent reading 2.5+ ?

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Tue Apr 14 16:29:23 CEST 2009

Hi,
ton at blender.org (2009-04-13 at 2009.14 +0200):
> Without animations or meshes, there's not much use keeping 'forward'
> compatibility. It's even very hard to predict if you don't get crashes
> even... So, my proposal would be:
>
> - Add in 2.49 (trunk) a warning menu + failure to read 2.5+ .blend
> files.
> - Make 2.5 save the ~/.B.blend as ~/.B25.blend (this to prevent
> usability issues).

I sent you some notes about config reorg (paths, multiple version
support) and related file handling (interpreting // etc, not the
binary format). In any case the best would be to avoid more dot files
in ~/ by placing new things inside ~/.blender/ or equivalent location
in non Unixy OSes.

Uploaded the notes, for anybody else interested into the ideas
http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/config-layout-and-file-handling-250.mbox.txt
It would be nice to get some insight from Debian maintainer and other
people that already have been handling issues with user accounts,
packaging and temp files, they have experience with that and reported
some bugs already, so good moment to solve all them in one go.

GSR