[Bf-committers] 2.49: prevent reading 2.5+ ?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Apr 14 10:49:47 CEST 2009

Hi Erwin,

Old blenders reading new files was as its best instable.
A 2.48 saved file crashes in 2.3x even. It does read in 2.40 though.

I really like forward compatibility for updates, and always challenge
devs to think of good incremental ways to add functionality, so it
still reads OK in older binaries.

Concepts and designs for Mesh and Ipo were 15 years old now, and really
at the end of their lifecycle. They just have too many limits
by-design.
Keeping "the old data" around, or some way to "convert back" is
impossible or frustrating at best, since the redesign incorporates
features we didn't have in the old data, which again is the reason why
we choose to upgrade. :)

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands