[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Apr 13 04:10:53 CEST 2009

Hi,
ideasman42 at gmail.com (2009-04-12 at 1628.03 -0700):
> Best just get Ton off Makefiles and then let the GSR and the community maintain.

I picked up with Makefiles because it was working, just not upgraded.
And CMake is also pretty much stopped and still not at the same level
to begin, otherwise nothing against it, all the contrary, we could go
from having 4 to just 1.

[...]
> +1 strongly in favor of dropping Makefiles, (and MSVC project files
> though I have not had anything to-do with these, it seems CMake can
> replace them?).

A quick search suggests CMake can create "scripts" for more plataforms
than currently in use for Blender (somewhere else I even saw Watcom)
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:OpenTasks#Support_for_major_buildsystems

So if the thing is to reduce workload and put every one "in the same
page", I would drop all except CMake, sincerily. At least I hope that
would force the final push that it lacks.

GSR