[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

Diego Hernan Borghetti bdiego at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 01:35:22 CEST 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well; I realize there are issues for merging, but for regular
> development the various users of each build system have always kept
> things work nicely.
> As makefile user I can check on cmake though, no idea how good this
> is... would it work on similar speed as make?

As a makefile user I can say the same, give a try to cmake (but also no
idea, never used it before).

On the other side.. build system has been always broken for one or two
days and "in my opinion", always go to be broken.. different system,
different user, different preferences..

So my point is that every build system have the good/bad thing, but in the
end is just a dev/user preferences and always go to by that, if you try to
work with the four at the same time, soon or later become a pain.

I always used makefile for my project and never has been a problem, when I
start working with blender, first try scons but I become tired of always
have problem.. so I go back with makefiles.

my question is: is it really need work with the four ?
can you work only with one (cmake, make, scons, whatever) and let the
dev/users of each build system update it ?

Don't get me wrong, if the decision is remove the makefiles, I can move to
cmake and live with that... it is just that I want to see a "good reason"
for remove the makefiles.

> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands
>
> On 12 Apr, 2009, at 16:47, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> We currently have 4 build systems being maintained: Makefiles, SCons,
>> CMake and MSVC. Making changes for 2.5 development and doing merges
>> for all 4 has gotten quite tedious and I've lost days fiddling with
>> all these build systems. Further it seems that compilation breaks
>> often because of lacking build system updates, which again takes time
>> working with people in #blendercoders to get things building again.
>>
>> I thought the idea was that new build systems like SCons or CMake
>> would replace existing ones, but that hasn't happened and things have
>> just gotten more complicated instead of simplified.
>>
>> Could we remove some of these? Of course all of them have some
>> advantage, but 4 seems unnecessary. In particular I'm proposing to:
>>
>> - Remove the Makefiles build system
>> - Fix a few things in CMake to get it generating MSVC project files up
>> to the same quality as the existing ones, and then remove the MSVC
>> build system.
>>
>> SCons I think we should keep because it is well maintained and easy to
>> use. CMake can generate native project files and is much faster than
>> SCons on older systems. So we can keep both of these I suppose, though
>> one would be ideal.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Brecht.

 			Diego