[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sun Apr 12 16:47:42 CEST 2009

Hi all,

We currently have 4 build systems being maintained: Makefiles, SCons,
CMake and MSVC. Making changes for 2.5 development and doing merges
for all 4 has gotten quite tedious and I've lost days fiddling with
all these build systems. Further it seems that compilation breaks
often because of lacking build system updates, which again takes time
working with people in #blendercoders to get things building again.

I thought the idea was that new build systems like SCons or CMake
would replace existing ones, but that hasn't happened and things have
just gotten more complicated instead of simplified.

Could we remove some of these? Of course all of them have some
advantage, but 4 seems unnecessary. In particular I'm proposing to:

- Remove the Makefiles build system
- Fix a few things in CMake to get it generating MSVC project files up
to the same quality as the existing ones, and then remove the MSVC
build system.

SCons I think we should keep because it is well maintained and easy to
use. CMake can generate native project files and is much faster than
SCons on older systems. So we can keep both of these I suppose, though
one would be ideal.

What do you think?

Brecht.