[Bf-committers] The best way to make 3D surface from a math equation(s) using blender?

John Haiducek jhaiduce at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:22:42 CEST 2009

joe wrote:
> We don't support implicit surfaces via user-inputted equations (ah
> which I assume is what you want? like pov-ray?)  You could write a
> python script that'd do the calculations and tessellate the result,
> but it'd be quite a lot of work.

POV-Ray does implicit surfaces very easily (using its isosurface
feature), but he might find animation in POV-Ray more difficult than in
Blender.

You could make a surface from a mathematical function in Blender using
texture nodes and the displacement modifier...if the surface can be
described as normal displacements from a plane or other shape that is.