[Bf-committers] Meeting notes: 2.48 plans

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:52:56 CEST 2008

Hi Carsten, Trying to make a shortlist of your fixes/improvements that
can be a realistic target for 2.48/GameKit release.

Heres my shortlist, some of your requests are trivial and not worth
clogging up this list with :-) - comments inline. Brecht, Benoit,
there are some things you could comment on inline too.

bugs
- fix near sensor bug (benoit)
- joystick sensor (+ py api fix) (me)
- Message System  "To:" (me) - see comment inline.

features (if there is time)
- Delay Sensor (UI feature only - sec/60.0 )) - (me)
- Frameprop for IpoActuator (benoit or myself)

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:
---- snip
>   Bugs
>   ====
>
> The game engine bug tracker is still very hidden on the
> projects.blender.org page?
>
> - Near Sensor Reset http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=17688&group_id=9&atid=306
+1 Bugs like this should be fixed, benoit can you comment?

> - Paint Mask not working in Texturepaint
+1 Fogot about this one, should be an easy fix (can add to my todo :-/)

> - TextWindow: No confirmation message when deleting Text buffers? (and no possibility to re-link)
+1 ? - would adding an undo push be ok?, otherwise can add a message

> - CD Actuator: Crossplatform? Needs at least a "Property" field for the Track number to be usefull. Python functions are quite useless
-1  Id deprecate this actuator, is anyone seriously going to use it?

> - No python function for Soystick Sensor to get the Hat position (the getHat() function only gets what is indicated in the GUI!) (Ok, was discussed but I have no time now to look into it myself)
+1,  However we need to think of how to do this in a way that is both
backwards compatible and gives access to the py api.

> - Message System  "To:" Fix it or remove it!
+1 (not sure we are talking about the same problem though)  I think
this works, just requires an "OB" prefix, which can be changed in the
conversion function and fixed for old files with do-versions()

> - Keyboard Sensor: Get rid from "Hold" Buttons and Python functions? They dont work.... (since ages?)
?, never used this function, if it doesn't work then I guess we can remove.

>   Good to have
>   ============
>
> - anisotropic friction (neither the boat racer or the skiing game are
> easy to do with bullet)
> - Some FH (like in Sumo) like system would be nice, Ben told me that his
> Distance Constraint could be added with a different algorithm to do this
Thenks Erwin!, carsten - can you confirm it works, will assume done?

> - Multimaterial providing physical properties (friction, restitute)
? benoit/brecht?
> - material "splatting" with nodes, deliver the DYN (physical) properties according to the settings of the materials
? -brecht can you comment?

- Delay Sensor, possible to add a Delay in seconds?
+1 yes, can be done in the user interface - as long as 60tics per
secons is kept.

> - How many performace would it cost to update the collision mesh when using shape Actions or Armatures in the gameengine? Maybe as option?
whenever deformed meshed where physics objects blender would slow
right down. erwin or ben could best comment here but Id say -1 (cool
to have but not in short term)

> - Property Sensor not accepting properties as value (e.g. Equal Type), maybe ALL Value fields should accept Properties
???? - Not sure what you mean.

> - 2D Filter PER Object possible? (Motion Blur...)
-1 Don't think so, 2d filters work on entire image, I think getting it
to work per object is not trivial.

> - will the sound system be improved (ogg?) in near future?
-1 Maybe but not short term.

> - Soundactuator non working functions: start/pause/stop Sound,
Yes, looked into these a while back, very annoying. turned out to be
easier to work around the bugs :-/

> setFilename (also misleading, should be set Soundname),
+1 can change no problem.

> setPosition/Velocity/Orientation (what are they usefull for anyhow?)
These do work, at least they set values in the sound system, not sure
it uses them, best leave for now.

> - Frameprop for IpoActuator? (long wanted feature)
+1
> - it would be nice to reload a single library (good for big scenes or when you don't want to save/reload smaller changes)
Not realistic short term.

> - can we hide "FH" settings in the Materials while using Bullet?
Erwin added this back to bullet???

>   Questions
>   =========
>
> - what is this for: setChannel(channel, matrix, mode=False) in (Shape)
> Action Actuator
>

> --
> Carsten Wartmann: Autor - Dozent - 3D - Grafik
> Homepage:         http://blenderbuch.de/
> Das Blender-Buch: http://blenderbuch.de/redirect.html

- Campbell