[Bf-committers] Patch #6161 updated

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 22:26:58 CEST 2008

Hi Early.

I finish the notification system I was doing.
http://blenderecia.orgfree.com/index.php/blender/blender-notifier/

My solution, however, is much more simple/low level than yours. The
user just need Blender and Python. No console batching.
But let me give some feedback from my perspective to your patch:

> Getting an email with progress info would be very easy to do with this patch
> - simply have the callback function send an email (or not) to let you know
> how things are progressing.  On the farm, we do something very similar - we
> store the progress info into a file that is later handed off to the end
> user.

I'm not sure of that. For that the callback function itself should be
a ScriptLink type (e.g. instead of FrameChanged).
What currently (AFAIK) is not possible.

> "As of 4:00 pm, Frame 5 has processed 5,432,124 of 6,000,000 particles.  In
> the last 1 hr, 3 frames and 23,432,124 particles have been processed.  Total
> frames left to complete process after frame 5: 64"

I like this idea (very specific use though, agree with ton).

> I'm not familiar with ScriptLink at all, but if I understand your goal
> correctly, it should be very easy to accomplish with this patch - simply
> watch for the right sMessage in your rpBlenderCallbackSvn, and send an email
> to your iPhone when that message arrives.

With this I think I can do something. I could run my script as a
ScriptLink. Then every frame that I want to trace, I check the
sMessage in my Callback and send the message by email. Every frame I
don't wanna trace I cleanup the messages. (or something like that).

It looks a bit too complex (and slow) for me. I would rather a "print
debug" options in BlenderMenu, and an easy way to access then by
Python referring to their frame or time range (e.g. Blender.getLog(10)
or Blender.getLog(125,250)). I'm not sure how would be the better way
to implement that.

Well, just my 2 cents :)
Dalai