[Bf-committers] Blender Web Plugin :: Thread vs Fork

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Thu Sep 25 23:19:54 CEST 2008

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
>     Something occurred to me right about now.
>
>     The original problem with the Firefox Blender Web Plug-in is that
> there was a dirty lock for rendering with OpenGl in the plugin Window.
> That's solved with xembed. What just occurred to be is that, with
> xembed, there is no real need for forking the process.

AFAIK forking a process for each plugin is exactly what Chrome does to gain
extra stability. So on one hand, forking isn't a bad idea, but on the other when
the plugin is used with Chrome aren't there two forks? Is this forking something
the browser should care about?

How long does the BGE need to start up? Isn't it usually the loading of the data
(the .blend file) that takes the most time? But simplicity (no need of IPC) is a
good point.

Just my two cent,
panzi