[Bf-committers] Patch tracker reviewing rules (Farsthary)

echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu
Wed Sep 24 19:37:44 CEST 2008

Hi all!

 Ok for the rules, lets not forget never that we are not enemies nor
competting each other for the biggest contribution, we are all here for
the SAME reason that is improve blender, the fact that someone modified
blender to suit a need (even a single line of code) and want to share it
with the rest of the world means a lot and deserves respect from everyone
even if no one will ever use it.

 Developer base is the brain of ANY software, and user base is the heart.
that´s the reason why big apps spend millions in marketting for increase
user base (that open sources could´nt afford) and make shinny API´s for
dev base.

Unless an open source project get unlimited budget for pay developers or
do publicity everywhere, it has to do whathever takes for increase both
user base and dev base (and both are closely related devs came from users
and his contribution increase again users...and so on).

 As a project increase, it became clear that further development could not
be left only to sporadic and left-alone-volunteer contributions: its
necesary a core dev team to manage top list priorities,fundamental
desitions etc, much like a closed source software team. But what
diferentiates the core of the closed app with an open app are its
flexibility.

 A very important step of a free soft is the reaching of the critical mass
of development. The main SVN trunk with his branches do an important job
in it and GraphicAll site is the main pool of blender experiments. I
think is time to increase the pool to allow unofficials SVN trees
somewhere but organized,as the official one.

 I think the less difficulties a dev has to deal with the easier will be
to make contributions and everyone wins.