[Bf-committers] NURBS - Call to arms

Emmanuel Stone emmanuel.stone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:03:41 CEST 2008

Hello all,

Thanks to the efforts of the NURBS fans on Blenderartists [1] interest
in libNurbana in Blender has been revived. I have been working away
slowly on this project since the GSoC (3 years ago!?), but I simply do
not have enough time to progress the project in a timely manner. The
last time I got a significant amount of work done was during my summer
holidays last year, where I refactored the entire project into a nicer
architecture, without a chunk of time to work on it uninterrupted I
find I cannot progress very quickly.

Two things have happened recently which will hopefully change the situation:

1) My employer has generously agreed to give me two weeks at the end
of September to work on Blender.
2) As discussed in the thread above, several people (myself included)
have pledged to donate money to any willing to help me with this
project [2].

I hope to use the two weeks to do two things:
- Make the current nurbs/ branch completely stable and bug free, as a
replacement for the current nurbs architecture in Blender
- Mentor a new developer to help with future NURBS development

There have already been a few suggestions for potential candidates for
the coder, but I would like to make an open request on the list in the
interest of fairness, and finding the best possible person for the
job.

If anybody with experience in NURBS or Blender is interested in this
project, please contact me. Please include evidence of your
suitability for this role. The amount of money we raise and the amount
of work expected will probably be comparable to the GSoC. The project
will be broken down into sections, with specific 'bounties' for each
section depending on the difficulty.

What does everyone else think?

For anybody that's curious, the current nurbs/ branch in SVN should
build, but is 'beta quality'.

-Emmanuel

[1] http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133844 or for all
the gory details: