[Bf-committers] design question

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Sep 11 19:06:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

Going over all possible users of a random piece of data in Blender is
very complicated code. It was not part of the original design spec to
be able to resolve this.
We could store all relations in a dependency graph once or so, should
not make things slow though.

Best things of the current convention is:
- It doesnt delete single user blocks (materials or so) so you can
still re-use them. Having them deleted for real could be intrusive.
- It's more stable! Even *one* case when we fail to remove a link will
cause in fatal errors in Blender.

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands