[Bf-committers] commit access

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Sep 5 18:01:02 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

It looks like a very impressive and ambitious line-up of features
you're going to be working on! Of course you are welcome here. We can
really use corporate sponsored Blender developers.

However, we unfortunately don't have branch-only accounts. We also have
defined that branches in our svn are only for "official" or approved
projects, by the current developers with svn access.

Hopefully you'll accept the regular convention here for getting svn
access; you first provide some docs & patches, and try to find people
to review and test them. (Campbell for baking, Brecht for glsl, are the
candidates for review).
When your work finds wide approval (especially from current owners of
the code) you'll get svn write access.

But! Work on Blender then still has to be based on topics you'll have
to agree on with the blender.org team, with our design concepts and
align with our scheduling in mind. This might conflict with the
specifications and planning of your studio. If you have artists yelling
at you, you might prefer to quickly commit things to help them! Having
your own svn (server) then is much better.

It is well possible that the artists in your studio love Blender and
only intend to improve it in geat ways (not like turn it into 3ds :),
but that we'll better find out... in due time, but while working
together.

You can also count on my continuous interest in ways how to help
developers in situations like this. How much of your work *should* go
to a release, and what is possible to do as a temporary
studio-project-fork?
Are there better ways to get Blender as an open source project
integrated in studio development projects?

Thanks,

-Ton-