[Bf-committers] 2.50 Codebase Question

David Bryant aceone at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 26 22:50:36 CET 2008

Question #1:
Is Blender going to jump from 2.48 to 2.50?

Question #2:
If new feature patches continue for now to be written by those who submit
them, they will be compatible with the 2.4x codebase but will they be
compatible with 2.50 so as to be commited to the new codebase?

Reason for Question:
I want to write a glow shader or glow node for Blender.
All other packages uses shader attributes that acts on a material index
instead of compositing channels in a post render sequencer fix (as Blender
does now). It's much faster and targets a specific material index (you can
easily set a particular color to glow) as I have experienced in other
commercial packages.

I will still write it for the 2.4x codebase because I need it personally
but, if I submit the patch for review, will it be rejected because it wont
fit in with the 2.50 code API?
Maybe the developers want to stick with the current method ?

Digikiller