[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [16716] trunk/blender/source: BGE patch: add advanced parameters for SoftBody.

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Wed Oct 1 01:53:02 CEST 2008

Ton Roosendaal schrieb:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> Just adding options for this in Object struct is not correct.
> First off it's an experimental function only available in GE, secondly
> it will make future improvements in Blender for proper Bullet physics
> very confused.
>
> You're safer with adding a pointer to a new struct BulletSoftbody or
> so, and allocate this struct on first usage (like how
> DNA_object_force.h now).
>
> I'd also recommend to re-use existing softbody settings, where or if
> possible? An integrated approach where Blender softbody works in GE
> would also be preferable.
>
> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands
>
> On 25 Sep, 2008, at 0:58, Benoit Bolsee wrote:

**
cutting of the lengthy commit thing here
**
Hi Ton and all,
sure you (Ton) are right with your remark on where to put things in the
file,
that is, i agree on using pointers to structures .. and so on ..
What i am not really sure about is:
Should we really keep that 'have something working' code that the soft
body code is?
<Some history>
Zero Once there was the yelling for soft bodies ..
1rst attempt taken by intrr in tuhopuu was rejected .. for reasons i see
2nd was a framework provided by Ton .. which still is nice, elegant but
does not fit perfectly to progress that happened at that time ( depend
-graph  .. modifier stack )
3rd me was tempted to fill that framework with a 'working' SB engine
4rth the result is a SB engine which is 'overkill' for most users .. and
still can't satisfy all the needs
5th Daniel did code the cloth module to replace the need to use soft
bodies for that.
6th the particle code hooks to soft bodies because there was nothing
better available .. may be cloth or bullet code may suit better?
6 and 1/2th  i spent some time exploring limits of my approach and kept
bug fixing .. implemented threading .. well .. to have something
working. Somehow got stuck on micro physics details ..
7th a full time (paid) coder team comes up with a new engine doing most
of the parts  what the SB engine does ( may be better / worse )
</Some history>
Who am i to stink against evidence?
So my proposal would be:
Switch particles to hook into cloth.
Make cloth use the bullet engine where ever it can.
Try to replace the SB engine by the bullet engine .. /* keeping old code
for reference .. well results will be different by design .. may be some
coder will want to look it up .. for scaling or so */
however .. blender users / artist don't care too much for physical
correctness  .. so  kick  the SB engine or make it a hidden option for
physics knit pickers
..
just to ease my mind  ... faking is marketing and marketing is money ..
and money is
..
feels better now
..