[Bf-committers] Texture fonts in blender

Alex Fraser alex at phatcore.com
Tue Nov 25 08:43:57 CET 2008

Hi James and Ivan,

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM, James <sheepzilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ivan Gagis <igagis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently started doing the same thing, because when I run blender on my
>> Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop its interface works terribly slow.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. I think they may be the same thing. My
graphics card is an ATI Radeon Mobility x1400.

>> But if I do the following actions then the fonts start behave badly:
>>   Press middle mouse button in 3d view window and start rotating the camera
>> by moving the mouse, do this for 1 minute.
>>   Result:
>>       text labels on buttons and in other places start disappearing. These
>> labels may blink sometimes when you do some unrelated actions e.g. rotating
>> camera with middle mouse button.

I get something similar. It used to also draw all wires in the 3D view
as dashed lines, which was slow and difficult to use. Since
re-installing my drivers it doesn't make lines dashed, but bits of the
interface flicker. It seems that there are two buffers, and one of
them fails to be updated: the buttons switch between the current and
previous state.

This is probably related: sometimes when starting the game engine,
nothing is shown in the view.

I've only seen this behaviour when using the fglrx drivers. When using
the open source radeon driver it doesn't happen, but then there's no
GLSL. Mesa works, too.

I filed a bug on Launchpad about this because I thought it was purely
a driver issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/220620
Note that I haven't updated it recently, and I have since gone back to
using the radeon driver to get the game engine working.

Let me know if I can help solve this issue. Cheers,
Alex